To that end our purpose is:
- An Upward Look (Worship), in which we fix our attention upon our God, including all His marvelous attributes and benevolent deeds. Our upward look involves the giving of praise and thanks to Him, the strengthening of our commitment to Him, and the stimulation of further trust in Him which we enjoy.
- An Inward Look (Fellowship), in which we fix our attention on each other as brothers & sisters in Christ. Our inward look involves loving concern and care for one another, the cultivation of friendships, mutual prayer support, edification, exhortation and discipline, equipping each other for service.
- An Outward Look (Discipleship), In which we fix our attention upon those who are not yet disciples of Jesus Christ. Our Outward look involves the establishment of rapport with our community & the world, the development, training & and use of effective strategies by our faith family, to maintain a consistent evangelistic thrust through our missions and ministries.
Our Doctrinal Statement
- We affirm our belief in one God, infinite Spirit, creator, and sustainer of all things, who exists eternally in three persons, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. These three are one in essence but distinct in person and function.
- We affirm that the Father is the first person of the Trinity and the source of all that God is and does. From Him the Son is eternally generated and from Them the Spirit eternally proceeds. He is the designer of creation, the speaker of revelation, the author of redemption, and the sovereign of history.
- We affirm that the Lord Jesus Christ is the second person of the Trinity. Eternally begotten from the Father, He is God. He was conceived by the virgin Mary through a miracle of the Holy Spirit. He lives forever as perfect God and perfect man: two distinct natures inseparably united in one person.
- We affirm that the Holy Spirit is the third person of the Trinity, proceeding from the Father and Son and equal in deity. He is the giver of all life, active in the creating and ordering of the universe: He is the agent of inspiration and the new birth; He restrains sin and Satan; and He indwells and sanctifies all believers.
- We affirm that all things were created by God. Angels were created as ministering agents, though some, under the leadership of Satan, fell from their sinless state to become agents of evil. The universe was created in six historical days and is continuously sustained by God; thus it both reflects His glory and reveals His truth. Human beings were directly created, not evolved, in the very image of God. As reasoning moral agents, they are responsible under God for understanding and governing themselves and the world.
- We affirm that the Bible, both Old and New Testaments, though written by men, was supernaturally inspired by God so that all its words are the written true revelation of God, it is therefore inerrant in the originals and authoritative in all matters. It is to be understood by all through the illumination of the Holy Spirit, its meaning determined by the historical, grammatical, and literary use of the author’s language, comparing Scripture with Scripture.
- We affirm that Adam, the first man, willfully disobeyed God, bringing sin and death into the world. As a result, all persons are sinners from conception, which is evidenced in their willful acts of sin; and they are therefore subject to eternal punishment, under the just condemnation of a holy God.
- We affirm that Jesus Christ offered Himself as a sacrifice by the appointment of the Father. He fulfilled the demands of God by His obedient life, died on the cross in full substitution and payment for the sins of all, was buried, and on the third day He arose physically and bodily from the dead. He ascended into heaven where He now intercedes for all believers.
- We affirm that each person can be saved only through the work of Jesus Christ, through repentance of sin and by faith alone in Him as Savior. The believer is declared righteous, born again by the Holy Spirit, turned from sin, and assured of heaven.
- We affirm that the Holy Spirit indwells all who are born again, conforming them to the likeness of Jesus Christ. This is a process completed only in Heaven. Every believer is responsible to live in obedience to the Word of God in separation from sin.
- We affirm that a church is a local assembly of baptized believers, under the discipline of the Word of God and the lordship of Christ, organized to carry out the commission to evangelize, to teach, and to administer the ordinances of believer’s baptism and the Lord’s Table. Its offices are pastors (elders) and deacons, and it is self-governing. It functions through the ministry of gifts given by the Holy Spirit to each believer for redeeming the lost and building up believers in the faith.
- We affirm that the return of Christ for all believers is imminent. It will be followed by seven years of great tribulation, and then the coming of Christ to establish His earthly kingdom for a thousand years. The unsaved will then be raised and judged according to their works and separated forever from God in hell. The saved, having been raised, will live forever in heaven in fellowship with God.
Emmanuel Community Church Covenant
Having been led by the Spirit of God to receive the Lord Jesus Christ as our Savior, and on the profession of our faith, having been baptized (immersed) in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, we do now, in the presence of God and this assembly, most solemnly and joyfully enter into covenant with one another as one body in Christ. We strive, therefore, by the aid of the Holy Spirit, to walk together in Christian love; for the advancement of this church in Scriptural knowledge and holiness ; to promote its spirituality and prosperity; to sustain its worship by regular attendance at its stated service, and to submit to the discipline; to give it a sacred pre-eminence over all institutions of human origin; to support the church in the manner outlined in the Scripture for the support of the ministry, the expenses of the church, the relief of the poor, and the spread of the gospel through all the nations. We also engage to maintain family and private devotions to raise our children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord; to seek salvation of our families and friends; to be just in our dealings, faithful in our engagements, and exemplary in our deportment; to avoid all gossiping, backbiting and unrighteous anger; to abstain from all questionable and unbiblical practices and excesses that involve the practice or appearance of evil and harm the reputation of Christ; to be set for the defense of the gospel and be zealous in our efforts to win the lost for Christ. We further engage to watch over one another in brotherly love; to remember each other in prayer; to aid each other in sickness and distress; to cultivate Christian sympathy in feeling and courtesy in speech; to be slow to take offense, but always ready for reconciliation and mindful of the rules of our Savior to secure it without delay. We moreover unite with some other church of like faith and practice where we can carry out the spirit of this covenant and principles of God’s Word.