Watch this sermon series presented by Pastor Don Meckley regarding the Giving Heart.
Note: You can also listen to the Giving Living sermon series on iTunes or XBOX Music.
Giving Living – Part I
Now concerning the collection for the saints: as I directed the churches of Galatia, so you also are to do. On the first day of every week, each of you is to put something aside and store it up, as he may prosper, so that there will be no collecting when I come. And when I arrive, I will send those whom you accredit by letter to carry your gift to Jerusalem. If it seems advisable that I should go also, they will accompany me. 1 Corinthians 16:1-4
- Give Universally
- Give Corporately
- Giving reflects commitment to the church
- Giving promotes unity, both locally and globally
- Give Regularly
- Give Proportionately
- Give Responsibly
What About Tithing in the Old Testament?
- Tithes (totaling about 23% per year) were given to support the people of God. (Leviticus 27:30; Numbers 18:21-24; Deuteronomy 14:22-23, 28-29)
- First fruit offerings were given to present the best before God. (Exodus 23:16; 34:22; Numbers 15:20-21)
- Freewill offerings were given to offer excess to God. (Exodus 35:29; 36:3-7; Exodus 12:5-7)
Tithes and Offerings were:
- Reminders of God’s ownership of all things.
- Reflections of God’s provision for all His people.
- Reasons to celebrate God’s blessing on His people.
Giving Living – Part II
There are many reasons why giving might begin with a tithe:
- Tithing honors a biblical principle that the Old Testament explains and Jesus endorses. (Luke 11:41-42)
- Tithing reinforces the reality of God’s ownership. (1 Corinthians. 4:7; 2 Corinthians 9:9-10)
- Tithing reminds us of the responsibility of our stewardship. (Matthew 25:14-46)
- Tithing helps us in our constant battle with materialism. (1 Timothy 6:6-10, 17-19)
- Tithing aids us in our efforts to combat greed in our hearts. (Matthew 6:19-24)
In church today, what if:
- Potentially start your giving at 10% to the church (this is the “floor” of giving).
- Continually expand your giving with greater percentages according to your excess (there is no “ceiling” on giving).
Giving Living – Part III
John 8:43-47 Satan speaks the language of lies. Including but not limited to discouragement, condemnation, fear, and insecurity. Accusing the believer and filling the heart (and mind) with falsehoods so there is no room for praise and gratitude.
Romans 7:21-25 The Apostle Paul had similar wrestling matches within himself regarding the truth of his calling and the lies of the enemy.
1 Kings 19:19-21 Elisha was all in when Elijah called upon him. His living involved giving all. His relationships, his possessions and his will for his own life.
Psalm 103:1-5 Gratitude = a positive change of attitude. Gratitude is necessary to giving living lifestyle. Gratitude begins where our sense of entitlement ends.
Prayer Heavenly Father, by your grace I will not let the discouragement of what I am going through make me forget the benefits of being yours! I have been bought with a price. You have saved me, blessed me forgiven me, restored me, satisfied me, healed me, crowned me, and renewed me. Thank you Lord for saving my soul, thank you Lord for making me whole, thank you Lord for giving to me thy great salvation so rich and free!
Giving Living – Part IV – Don’t Stop Now
2 Kings 13:14-20 King Jehoash didn’t need supreme intelligence, courage or creative battle techniques. He didn’t need to learn anything new, beef up the armies, or sharpen strategies. He just needed to POUND THE GROUND a few more times. He wasn’t lacking in HUMILITY or COURAGE. It wasn’t about TACTICS, rather, it was about TENACITY.
Joshua 6:1-21, Isaiah 55:6-9 , Jeremiah 29:11-13